In case you were a little upset about our first caffeine post on Wednesday, we have compiled some positives of caffeine for you!
Some good things we get from Caffeine:
- Feel good/ Wake up
- Assist in training- Caffeine has been shown to improve athletic performance in both strength and endurance athletes.
- Coffee/Tea is a social drink and helps people get together and enjoy each others company. Much like another drink we have talked about.
Some Not so good (BAD) things we get from Caffeine:
- Excess use (more than a cup of coffee/day) can over stress the adrenals and cause issues skirting past just having a cup of coffee (Lethargy, headaches, adverse effects from caffeine consumption, lightheadedness…)
- The effects of Caffeine lasts up to 8 hours in the body, so any caffeine consumed after noon could likely interfere with sleep.
- Caffeine is a vasoconstrictor which means it constricts your blood vessels and raises your blood pressure (Right Cindy?)
- Excess consumption actually decreases blood flow to the brain, not a good thing when you are trying to focus on something important. (I borrowed this straight from Whole 9)
Over time the same small cup of coffee doesn’t do the trick and you will need more and more to get the same effect. My recommendation is not to give it up completely but as an experiment, take a month off any form of caffeine. You may rethink your dependence on it after a couple days but i assure you, those headaches and foggy head will go away (Cold showers help). Once you have taken a month off, accept the fact that caffeine is a powerful drug and use it with caution routinely taking time off. I recommend taking a week off every month to reset things. After your month off, DO NOT jump back in at the same level you stepped out of. Start with a small cup of coffee or Green tea and ease your way back in, hopefully keeping your consumption lower.
Take a deep Breath, the world is not going to end!
- Dutch Lowy
*REMINDER: No 5:30 pm Strength & Conditioning class tonight!*
Friday S&C Workout:
Box Jump for Height,
Suitcase Carry x5;
10 Burpee Box Jump,
Rest 90 sec