In case you haven’t noticed, its HOT! Which means you are sweating more than normal and therefore need to be drinking more WATER. Its even likely that if it wasn’t so damn hot you would probably need to drink more water anyway. You have heard it a million times but our body is made of nearly 70% fluids which are largely based on water. This means that water provides your body with the base to create other fluids in your body.
Lets start with some signs that you are NOT getting enough water.
- Thirst – This is obvious to some people but many people don’t realize the symptoms of thirst. Ever thought you were starving and drank a bottle of water only to feel full or at the least, not hungry any more?
- Headache – Ever have the sinus pressure headache that you can’t figure out so you just take some advil and that doesn’t even help? Try drinking more water throughout the day.
- swollen digits – Your fingers and toes feel swollen. As our body dries up it makes an effort to retain what little fluids it has and has to store them somewhere. best place for that is as far from the heart as possible. This could also be a symptom after having a heavily salted meal.
- Feeling Boated – Same idea as above. When your body is under nourished with something it will try to hold onto it as long as possible. This includes water. So, feeling bloated? Have some water.
- Skin is Dry or cracking – What do you think gives your skin (The biggest organ of the body) the smooth, moist feeling? Let me promise you that it doesn’t come from outside the body. Your skin is a barrier not a sponge as much as the big lotion companies want you to believe. At least they make you smell good…
- Urinating infrequently – If your urine is dark yellow or rather NOT clear then you are not getting enough water. This is also true if you are only urninating once or twice a day. Urine is one of your bodies ways or cleaning the system. Through your kidneys your body filters the blood and other fluids in your body to rid yourself of waste products and toxins. Even notice how it burns a little the night after partying pretty hard?
Above is a short list of the many ways your body has to tell you that its not getting enough water. Notice here that i say WATER, not fluid. The only thing that counts as water is well, WATER. Get it? I don’t care that you don’t like it. Wanna be more healthy, less bloated, have moist supple skin, and be headache free? Its easy just drink more water!
How much? Drink till your urine turns a light yellow or clear. Sounds gross but its the only way to tell if you are getting enough water. You may notice that after workouts it gets a bit darker which could be caused by a couple things but should tell you that you need more water either before, during or after the workout.
Where do i get my water? Right here in Fort Worth. I won;t get into why i choose not to drink FW tap water but you may be able to taste the reasons from one glass. It has a chemical taste and just flat our grosses me out. We choose to get our drinking water from Monticello Springs at the corner of W 5th and Adams st. Stop in and give it a shot. Its the best water we have tasted in Fort Worth.
6 wt pullups/strict pullup/Ring Rows
6 Wt step ups each leg
2 min rest ( work on hip and shoulder flexibility)
30 Burpee Box Jumps